Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"The Opposite of Loneliness"

I found this article yesterday that I have to share with you. It is a piece written by Marina Keegan who was a 2012 graduate of Yale University. Unfortunately, she died in a car accident shortly after graduation, but will be remembered by countless classmates, friends, and not strangers who will share this piece that she wrote.

She somehow found a way to describe in writing exactly how graduates feel when they are leaving their safe haven of college and heading out to the real world. One of my favorite lines from this piece is, "It’s not quite love and it’s not quite community; it’s just this feeling that there are people, an abundance of people, who are in this together. Who are on your team."

From my time at Pitt I can say I know exactly what she's talking about. It was that moment before a basketball game when you were beside a "stranger," but wouldn't hesitate to put your arm around them during the national anthem. Or that feeling of anticipation as you watched the clock tick down to 0 after the 3rd quarter of a football game and you just couldn't wait for the tune of "Sweet Caroline" to start. I used to love all these feelings of togetherness. In a sea full of thousands of students, I felt like we were all in this together. Marina Keegan will forever be remembered for not only a piece of writing, but for describing and sharing a feeling that all of us have had at some point in our lives. I just really can't convey how beautiful her words are so read them for yourself and share. :)

Will never forget the awesome time I spent with these people!



No comments:

Post a Comment